It’s been two weeks since we welcomed 2014 and I have been busy trying to catch up, move forward, go back to normalcy (whatever you call it) after all the Holiday rush and stress. And yes, I can say that life is back to normal 🙂 Should I say “Whew!” or “Gulp?!!”
This is where my Declaration of Intention, One-Word and Verse for 2014 serve their purpose. Because I know that every time a new year comes in, my life is given a new twist for the following reasons:
1. We have the remaining two quarters to finish, which we will cover from January until March or April, at the most.
2. But before that, trying to get back to our homeschooling groove in the first place is a struggle we inevitably deal with. With the busyness of the Christmas season, it really is difficult to homeschool on a regular basis and go back to our normal routine after all the merriment and celebrations. That only means ending up being behind our intended targets for the different subjects.
3. It will soon be time to wrap up another school year.
4. Then, we choose and plan the girls’ summer activities, which mean new logistics, new schedules, new routines, new learning objectives.
5. We also usually have our family beach vacation during summer (usually in March or April where Holy Week falls), with my good friend who’s based in the U.S., which means travel and itinerary plans have to be done online via a long exchange of emails and WhatsApp messages. We’ve been doing this for three years in a row and it’s actually been really fun! Everyone now looks forward to the next summer destination every time.
6. And after being on a vacation mode and enjoying a brief break, I move into my “planning session” and seriously make plans for the next school year. This is when I do the nitty-gritty of identifying our school year learning goals, scheduling, and listing down the scope per subject, per quarter…per child (I thank God that we only have two and I’m able to handle this duty quite diligently). This really takes so much of my time, I feel I need another vacation after doing it! That’s why, as much as possible, I carefully space my activities and duties during the one or two months of summer that we have so that I can still enjoy some respite before we officially start another year of homeschooling.
Then add these major, shall we say, milestones for us, this 2014:
1. We plan to move in to Pasig soon. Well, as soon as we can. Currently juggling homeschooling (working on our books and going to other classes and activities), back and forth trips to Manila, and house renovation on a weekly basis can really be quite exhausting and can majorly shake up one’s predictable routine or shall we say, one’s normal life. My family and I find this new place of ours a blessing and with the girls moving up to high school and soon college, we do need to be closer to schools, or at least to other resources and options we can explore. New house in a new city…a whole new lifestyle!
2. Arielle will be in her 4th Year High School next school year and we really need to sit down and start looking into her college plans, and take more concrete action steps. Now this scares me, to be honest! Kayla, on the other hand, is now also in her high school years and that calls for another approach and strategy when it comes to homeschooling and parenting.
3. I have to manage my time really well to still be able to manage the existing business we have and possibly, have a few others, which are all based back in my home province, Batangas.
4. Since Mike will be based in Batangas because of the businesses to take care of, I have to make sure that partner and family relationships will continue to work and even blossom.
These are just the big chunks, if I were to describe them. The daily chores and unexpected interruptions are not yet in the picture.
That’s why I really felt that there could be no better One-Word and Verse for me this year than FAITH. I can only see and visualize up to a certain point and plan in the best of my abilities and knowledge. How to execute plans, follow where the events will lead me, and accept how things turn out need FAITH, even if it is as tiny as a mustard seed, in order for me to believe that my dear God up there is in total control and everything in my life is going to be A-okay!
How has your 2014 been with the One-Word or Verse that you have chosen?